Deep in the heart of Zululand … lies the mystical Mfule River Valley, breathing life into the territory of the Biyela Clan, blood relatives of the Royal house of the proud and respected Zulu nation. The community of people who will host you at Simunye have lived in the surrounding areas their whole lives. They invite you to share their history, culture and traditions whilst enjoying outstanding hospitality in their world renowned lodge. Simunye means "We are one". Come join us … become one with us in Africa. Simunye Zulu Lodge offers a gentle mix of traditional Zulu Homestead and experiences, and world class hospitality and leisure activities.
Simunye Lodge is ideal for the international traveller, or a local getaway to truly rest and rejuvenate.We welcome couples, parties or groups, and most especially families as there is so much to do here at Simunye. If you're celebrating a birthday, engagement, wedding, anniversary or any other special function, we will cater to your needs in our unique Simunye style. History The roots of Simunye date back to the time before the Anglo Zulu War of 1879 when early pioneer traders and transport riders kindled lasting friendships with their Zulu neighbours which have lasted through generations, enshrining the peaceful co-existence between the pioneer and Zulu cultures in this awe-inspiring and captivating valley. In the face of the ever-changing world, it has long been our dream to preserve the historic and cultural treasures taught to us by our grandparents and wise old people now dead and gone. In creating Simunye, we invite you to share this ancient heritage and become "one" with us.
At Simunye we have a variety of accommodation to choose from. Each room has been uniquely crafted by the Zulu community using natural materials from the valley. All the lodgings are comfortably furnished and have a private bathroom/shower.
Surprise yourself with a unique sensory experience … There's so much to do at Simunye, but your day will be as full or as empty as you choose. The best way to experience our special community, is to get involved in the day's routine. Check in at the departure point between 3:30pm and 4:00pm, please dress appropriately as transport from the departure point to the lodge (4,5km) is by horseback, ox-wagon, or 4×4 vehicle. Due to this method of transport, guests are requested to carry an overnight bag only – the bulk of your luggage will be secure with your vehicle at the departure point. The journey to Simunye will commence at 4:00pm and will last for an hour. On arrival at the lodge we invite you for a refreshing drink after your journey where your host will explain the time for the "cross-over" – an introduction to the Zulu home you are visiting. You will then be guided to your rooms where you will have time to freshen up.
- 18:30 – We will meet at the main gate of the Zulu home where you will meet the Chief of the village and where he will welcome you in a truly "Zulu" manner.
- 19:00 – We go to the restaurant to enjoy our dinner
- 20:15 – The young Zulu dancers from the village and surrounding area entertain us with their energetic dancing. The following morning:
- 07:00 – A local musician will wake you up by playing in the unique Zulu style of guitar playing.
- 07:30 – Coffee and rusks will be brought to your rooms.
- 08:00 – We meet at the main entrance to the village for an indepth look into the Zulu culture.
- 09:00 – We return to the restaurant for our breakfast.
- 10:15 – We depart on our journey back to the old trading store. (This will take approximately 1 hour with horses, or 1.5 hours by ox-wagon.)
From R 1150.00 per person sharing per night
Children are welcome